Saturday, January 06, 2007

Book Reviewk


Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
I had heard of this author years ago but not read anything by her. I recently saw a trailer for a movie called "The Namesake" based on her novel of the same name. So I started reading this book of short stories before said novel. It's excellent, beautifully written. Why are most short stories so freakin sad and depressing?

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
Again, beautifully written. I liked the story as well but thought it really glossed over certain obvious areas like sexual identity/insecurity in a predominantly white town. Or maybe that was just me.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Oof. Great book. A page-turner. Sad. Romantic. Satisfying. Didn't end poorly which lots of books with great premises often do. Highly recommend.

No comments: